Volume 16, Number 28 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | December 9-16, 2003
Bouley settles 9/11 suit
Hot Tribeca chef David Bouley cut a deal with his insurance company last month to resolve a rancorous dispute involving 9/11 funds.
Bouley had been accused by his insurance company of failing to report $5.8 million in Red Cross money, paid to him for feeding rescue workers at ground zero, when he filed a claim for nearly $2.3 million in damages relating to the terror attack. The $2.3 million included loss of business income for Bouley Bakery—now known as Bouley—which was used to prepare meals for rescue workers and did not reopen until February of 2002. Danube, Bouley’s other restaurant, reopened on Sept. 28, 2001.
Bouley and his insurer, Admiral Indemnity, reached their confidential agreement days before they were to appear in federal court in Manhattan on Nov. 17.
“This was insurance company nonsense that David always denied, and it’s over,” said Charles Stewart, Bouley’s attorney with the New York City law firm Stewart Occhipinti & Makow.
Prior to the case being resolved, federal Judge Harold Baer called Bouley’s behavior “very troubling,” the New York Post reported.
Julie Nadel, who lives in the Hudson St. building where Bouley and Danube are located, said that she and her family were not surprised to hear that the star chef had found himself in hot water.
“When we heard this happened to him and he was in court, we laughed,” Nadel said.
Nadel, former president of the building’s co-op, said that building residents had a long and bitter relationship with Bouley, who she said had been an inconsiderate neighbor since his business moved in during the mid 1990s.
Stewart disagreed: “I think it’s a waste of ink to do anything else than to say that David Bouley has been nothing but an asset to the Downtown community.”