Volume 22, Number 42 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | February 26 - March 4, 2010
Downtown Express photo by Carlos Luna
A three-alarm fire early Wednesday morning gutted Ryan Maguire’s Ale House at 28 Cliff St. and displaced about a dozen residents.
The fire started at an electrical outlet in the bar’s basement a little before 2:30 a.m. and it took firefighters about two and a half hours to bring it under control, according to press reports. Four people suffered minor injuries, and the four-story building was evacuated, along with adjacent buildings. The bar is not expected to reopen soon. The building was built in 1938.