Volume 18 • Issue 15 | September 01 - 08, 2005

Police blotter

Downtown Express photos by Clayton Patterson

Top, Heshie Jacob, at right, looking at camera, Morris Faitelewicz, far left, and others converge at the Seventh Precinct on Pitt St., after Shalom Jacob was arrested for disorderly conduct on Aug. 29. Above, Shalom Jacob, as he leaves the precinct, ducks out of view of a photographer. Below, Sheldon Silver, left, arrives to get Shalom Jacob released from custody.

Grand St. hullabaloo
Shalom Jacob, 37, a driver with the Hatzolah volunteer ambulance service who tried to force his way past an Emergency Medical Service team into a Grand St. apartment on Monday evening Aug. 29, was arrested, brought to the Seventh Precinct station on Pitt St. and released after being charged with disorderly conduct, according to police.

The incident provoked a loud buzz on the Lower East Side and was the subject of an Aug. 30 item in the New York Post, which did not mention the name of the defendant. Jacob is the son of Harold Jacob, known as Heshie, manager of the East River and Hillman co-ops on Grand St. and a longtime friend of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

Silver made an appearance at the Pitt St. station after Shalom’s arrest and apparently secured his release after the charges were filed. The speaker said later that he went to mediate a jurisdictional dispute between Hatzolah and E.M.S. “They all have to work together for the betterment of the people here,” Silver said.

A police spokesperson said cops had gone to an apartment at 575 Grand St. in the East River Houses where the E.M.S. team was assisting a disturbed woman, when Shalom Jacob created a disturbance trying to get in. “At the time of the incident, he was not wearing a uniform or showing ID,” said Officer Timothy Brown, the police spokesperson.

Shalom Jacob also lives at 575 Grand St. He was not available for comment when phoned on Aug. 31 by Downtown Express.

A member of the New York Stock Exchange was charged this week with aggravated harassment in connection with an e-mail that was sent to the lawyer of a fellow stock exchange member.

Edward Reiss, 65, of Scarsdale, surrendered to the Midtown North Precinct on Mon. Aug. 29 where he was charged in connection with a July 19 e-mail he sent to the lawyer of William Higgins, an exchange member with whom he had been arguing about the exchange’s plans to merge with Archipelago, the electronic stock-trading system.

The e-mail said, “Higgins better be careful when he starts his car,” according to an item in the New York Post.

The lawyer complained to police, who traced the e-mail to Reiss.

— Albert Amateau


Downtown Express is published by
Community Media LLC.
Downtown Express | 487 Greenwich St., Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.242.6162 | Fax: 212.229.2970
Email: news@downtownexpress.com

Written permission of the publisher
must be obtainedbefore any of the contents
of this newspaper, in whole or in part,
can be reproduced or redistributed.