Volume 17, Number 47 | April 15 — 21, 2005

Bank, but not old-school graffiti, is made landmark

The Landmarks Preservation Commission on March 28 designated the old Germania Bank building at 190 Bowery at the northwest corner of Spring St. as the city’s 1,119th individual landmark.

The six-story granite and brick Beaux Arts-style building was completed in 1899 on the design of Robert Maynicke, an architect who studied at Cooper Union and worked for the architect George B. Post before co-founding his own firm.

“Although this monumental Beaux Arts building has changed uses through the years, its essential structural integrity has remained unchanging in this constantly evolving neighborhood,” said Robert B. Tierney, chairperson of the Landmarks Preservation Commission.

The landmark was the third home of Germania Bank, founded in 1869 by local businessmen of German descent. The bank’s name changed in 1917 to Commonwealth Bank and was later acquired by Manufacturers Hanover Trust. A photo supply firm and other tenants now occupy the building.

Google
WWW Downtown Express


Subscribe to Downtown Express

Email our editor

View our previous issues

Report Distribution Problems

Who's Who at
Downtown Express


our latest family addition:

Downtown Express is published by
Community Media LLC.

Downtown Express
487 Greenwich St.,
Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

All rights reserved.
Downtown Express and downtownexpress.com
are registered trademarks of Community Media, LLC
John W. Sutter, president


WEBMASTER:
arturo@communitymediallc.com

Phone: 212.229.1890 | Fax: 212.229.2790
Email: josh@downtownexpress.com


Home

Downtown Express is published by
Community Media LLC.
Downtown Express | 487 Greenwich St., Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212.242.6162 | Fax: 212.229.2970
Email: news@downtownexpress.com


Written permission of the publisher
must be obtainedbefore any of the contents
of this newspaper, in whole or in part,
can be reproduced or redistributed.