Home » Archives by category » News » Community (Page 2)

A “swirling spectacle” of sculptures will be installed at the top of the Winter Garden at Brookfield Place starting Mar. 26. “Soft Spin,” an installation of six massive fabric forms by Canadian artist Heather Nicol, will be on view until April 24 and open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily at the atrium near […]

Continue reading …

Four cops, who were instrumental in capturing a Queens man accused of committing eight burglaries Downtown, were honored as the “cops of the month” at the First Precinct Community Council meeting on Feb. 26. “The cops of the month from the First Precinct did a tremendous job,” said Captain Brendan Timoney, a week before he […]

Continue reading …

BY JEFFERSON SIEGEL  |  Civilization’s oldest form of artistic expression, sketching, is thriving in 21st-century federal courthouses. As part of a year-long series of events celebrating the 225th anniversary of the Federal Court for the Southern District of New York, the Thurgood Marshall Courthouse, at 40 Foley Square, is hosting an exhibit, “Courtroom Art: Eyewitness […]

Continue reading …

Move over, teddy, there’s new art in town. “Bearlike Construction,” a bronze teddy bear that looks as if it is made of trash bags, will be replaced by “Head of Goliath,” Jennifer Lantzas, public art coordinator for the Parks Department, told the Tribeca Committee on Feb. 11. The teddy bear has been installed at the […]

Continue reading …

BY VICTORIA GRANTHAM  |  The harsh weather continues. We’ll just have to stay indoors and entertain ourselves with a little escapism in the form of a movie. There’s ample opportunity for that given the International Children’s Film Festival, which kicks off Feb.  27 and runs through March 22. The fest will be held at various […]

Continue reading …

BY VICTORIA GRANTHAM   |  To survive the barrage of snowy, sleety winter weather and the inevitable indoor confinement that comes with it, we’re going to have to focus on our love for one another. Thankfully, there’s ample opportunity for that given Valentine’s Day. Options for celebrating cupid’s holiday this year include Valentine’s Day parties at […]

Continue reading …

BY DUSICA SUE MALESEVIC    |  A research and educational center to study the Hudson River estuary at Pier 26 was a seed planted in the ‘90s that is now beginning to blossom — funding and partners are now in place. The Hudson River Park Trust has announced the consortium that will operate and run the […]

Continue reading …

BY ZACH WILLIAMS  |  The Streit’s matzo company will vacate its longtime Lower East Side factory and relocate later this year. For nine decades the family-owned company has manufactured matzo from four adjacent former tenement buildings at 148-154 Rivington St., growing over that time from a local to international brand. But just as company founder […]

Continue reading …

BY VICTORIA GRANTHAM    |  My 4-year-old keeps asking me what there is to do in the winter. I’m tempted to answer “hibernation,” but since I can’t really do that I’ve dug up some mostly indoor activities to keep us all entertained until the thaw. Thankfully the Seaport is still offering their free event series […]

Continue reading …

BY DUSICA SUE MALESEVIC  |   The strong smell of shoe polish permeated the air while the rhythmic swipe-swipe of a cloth burnishing shoe could be heard as Carmine Colletti discussed the uncertain fate of his shoe repair store at Brookfield Place. Along with his brother, Charlie, the Collettis have been a part of the Battery […]

Continue reading …