Police Blotter, Week of Feb. 12, 2015

Body found in the river
On Wed., Feb. 11, officers responded to a 911 call of an individual floating face-up in the East River near 4 South St. by the F.D.R. Drive and Broad St. Upon arrival, officers discovered a 25-year-old male unconscious and unresponsive in the water.

The Police Department’s Harbor Unit responded and removed the individual from the water and took him to Pier 16 where E.M.S. medics pronounced him D.O.A. The Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death.

The deceased was subsequently identified as Andreas Robbins, 25, of 521 E. 14th St. in Stuyvesant Town. He had been reported missing on Mon., Dec. 1.

In a Dec. 8 article, the New York Post reported that Robbins had been suffering from depression and had left a suicide note in his Stuy Town bedroom saying he was going to jump off the George Washington Bridge. He had left his home without his cell phone or bank card.

Police subsequently said they were carrying out an active search, canvassing the area and using helicopter aviation units.

Andreas’s father, Bruce Robbins, told the Post that his son’s note said he wished for his savings to be given to an organization that fights depression and suicide and that he wanted his ashes strewn in the Mediterranean, which is where his mother, who is Greek, is from.

Woman attacked in Tribeca
Three men wearing ski masks robbed a woman in Tribeca earlier this month, police say.

The 21-year-old Brooklyn woman was walking home from her school on Sun., Feb. 1 at 7:47 p.m. when the three teen boys approached her and tried to grab her bag at the corner of Harrison and Greenwich Sts. When she refused and tried to escape, one of the men punched her in the arm and succeeded in getting the bag away from her, police say. In her $150 purse was a $100 wallet and credit cards.

After police canvassed the area, they arrested two suspects that day. The purse and its contents were recovered. The third man was at large until he turned himself in the next day. Two are 16, one is 17-years-old.

Costly pants stolen
A man went into a Club Monaco in Soho and stole two pair of pants worth $1,790 on Thurs., Jan. 29, police say.

A female employee, 27, told police that the man, who is about 40, came in at 7:41 p.m., snatched the jeans and then walked out of the store at 121 Prince St. She also said that the black leather pants — at $895 each — were insured.

Snooze & lose
A man, 21, fell prey to a lush worker earlier this month while sleeping on a train in Tribeca, police say.

The man was on the A train and told police that his wallet and $450 iPhone was stolen at the Chambers St. stop on Sun., Feb. 1 at 1 a.m. In the Brooklyn man’s wallet were checks totaling $377, a debit card and $100. Police say that the thief, which they describe as a “lush worker,” got away with $967 in cash, checks and cellphone.

Snatch & run
A brazen thief grabbed a $980 Samsung smartphone out of the hands of a woman exiting the subway at Wall St., police say.

The woman, 28, was riding the 2 train from Brooklyn to Lower Manhattan on Thurs., Jan. 29 and was about to exit on William St. at 8:25 p.m. when the man snatched her cellphone and then ran back to the platform. The woman tried to chase him, but lost him.

In addition to the cellphone, there was a $50 case — with her debit card and ID tucked inside.


Spread the word:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

+ two = 6