- Real Estate
- Under Cover
- Special Editorial
- In Pictures
BY HEATHER DUBIN | Richard Pearson, a mentally ill man who has been accused of “terrorizing” merchants and residents in Soho by physically and verbally harassing them, was sentenced to 10 months in prison last week, but he could be back on the streets by Christmas.
Pearson, 48, has been in jail since May 17, when he was charged with second-degree felony assault for allegedly throwing a brick at someone’s head. Two grand juries failed to indict him on the assault charge, but Pearson was indicted by both grand juries for possession of a narcotic, a misdemeanor.
On Oct. 30, Pearson pleaded guilty for possession of cocaine in State Supreme Court in front of Judge Charles Solomon. Assistant District Attorney James Zaleta had requested the maximum jail sentence of one year, citing Pearson’s long criminal history, including six arrests in Soho.
At his Nov. 12 sentencing, Pearson said, “I ask the court for leniency, and a just and proper sentence.”
In delivering the sentence, Solomon took into consideration the six months Pearson already served.
Pearson looked confused, and asked Solomon, “I have to do the whole 10 months?”
“He took it well when I explained he’ll be out in three to four weeks,” Alex Grosshtern, Pearson’s attorney, said afterward.
The same could not be said for the handful of Soho residents present.
“I’m scared for the day he gets out,” said Christina Nenov, who lives on Spring St. “He’s been terrorizing the community. There are a lot of frightened people on the street.”
Minerva Durham, owner of Spring Studio, a figurative drawing studio, also expressed concern.
“I’m overwhelmed,” she said. “It’s the duty of our government to protect us and find a way to protect us from him, and to help him, too.”
Grosshtern was pleased with the case’s outcome, and said he will not advise Pearson to avoid Soho, stating, “He never pleaded guilty to anything that had to do with that area.”