Police Blotter, Dec. 18, 2012

Transit Police reported a case of transit-system theft when a woman’s bag was stolen from her baby stroller.

On Sat., Dec. 15 at about 5 p.m., the 41-year-old woman entered the transit system at 72nd Street and took the number 2 Train downtown toward Chambers St., storing her shoulder bag in a baby stroller, according to police. When she reached the Chambers St. stop, she realized the bag had been stolen from the stroller, along with $100 in cash, credit and ID cards, a gift card valued at $500, a digital camera worth $250 and a gold Kate Spade wallet valued at $200. The police stated that no credit cards had been used at the time of the report.

An assault last Wednesday morning sent a pedestrian to the hospital after he shouted at a driver to “slow down.”

The man, 43, told police that he was crossing Reade St. at Broadway at about 9 a.m. on Wed., Dec. 12 when an unspecified vehicle made a fast right turn onto Reade, causing him to panic and shout, “Slow down!” at the driver. He continued walking down Reade St. when he felt an excruciating pain to the left side of his face. He said the driver of the same vehicle hit him in the side of the head with “the club” metal security device and spat on him before taking off.

The victim was transported to New York Downtown Hospital with a cut to his ear and earlobe, a bruised cheek and moderate to heavy bleeding. Police say the car had New Jersey license plates.

A subway robbery in the mezzanine level of the Fulton St. (A, C) station left a man without his valuables and police without camera footage.

The man reported that he had entered the Fulton St. station at John and Nassau Sts. at 2:45 a.m. on Wed., Dec. 12. The 25-year-old said he was in the mezzanine area between platforms when he was approached from behind by a robber who punched him in the head and face, before taking the victim’s cell phone and wallet from his front pockets. The suspect fled, and the victim called 911.

According to police, the victim sustained minor lacerations to his face and swelling. He also lost his wallet and his $600 Droid Razr Maxx smart phone. The crime occurred out of the view of subway surveillance cameras, and a police canvas of the area was reported to be unsuccessful.

An attempted purse-snatch turned into attempted robbery of a California couple when the thief was unable to grab it and go.

The victims, a 20-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman, told police they were walking down John St. at 8:25 a.m. on Sun., Dec. 16, carrying their luggage. The California natives were opposite 111 John St. when a man tried to grab her handbag. Her companion grabbed the suspect’s arm to stop him and was punched in the face, receiving a laceration above his eyebrow. The man fled the scene sans bag because it had been tied to the luggage.

This recent theft was the latest in a string of similar incidents in which thieves removed the valuables from unattended gym lockers.

A 24-year-old man told police that he had been working out at the New York Sports Club at 30 Wall St. on Thur., Dec. 13 at 3:30 p.m. when the theft took place. He returned to the locker room, which only one other person had been using at the time, to find that his lock had been clipped and was missing from the locker. Upon further investigation, the victim told police his wallet, keys and $400 Apple iPod were all missing from the locker. The victim cancelled his credit cards, which the thief had attempted to use to charge a $3,000 purchase at an unspecified Uptown location.

On Sat., Dec. 15, a Staten Island resident was so intent on purchasing a MetroCard that she did not notice a thief approach her until too late.

According to police, the 49-year-old woman was trying to purchase a MetroCard outside the Whitehall Ferry Terminal on Sat., Dec. 15 at 7 p.m., when someone reached into her handbag and removed her wallet before fleeing the scene. The wallet contained her credit cards, ID and social security card.

Police officers responded to a call to New York Downtown Hospital on Sunday for a crime that occurred in the early hours Saturday morning. Upon arrival, the victim, male, 30, told police that he had been involved in a dispute with an unknown man at approximately 6 a.m., Sat., Dec. 15, inside Ulysses Bar at 95 Pearl St. The suspect punched the victim in the face, causing fractures to the right eye socket. The victim reported having been drinking with friends prior to the incident. A canvas of the area was conducted, according to the report, but nothing more was known about the perp.


Spread the word:

One Response to Police Blotter, Dec. 18, 2012

  1. I will likely be coming back to your blog for even more soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

five × 5 =