Police Blotter

TA Larceny
Renee Hernandez, 54, was charged with grand larceny for stealing $97,000 from the Department of Housing Preservation and Development’s Tenants Interim Lease program while she was president of the 244-46 Elizabeth St. Tenant’s Association.  Hernandez illegally withdrew the money from the Tenants Association account between January 2006 and October 2007, the complaint says. The money, from tenants’ rent, should have been sent to H.P.D. as required by the department’s T.I.L. program. Instead, Hernandez opened a credit card in her name directly linked to the tenants’ account and spent the money on personal shopping and a Florida vacation, according to the Manhattan District Attorney’s office. She was arraigned May 19 and held in lieu of $100,000 bail.

Mugged on Wall St.
A female resident of the Financial District got out of the subway station in front of 44 Wall St. at 3 a.m. Sun., May 15 when a man pushed her against the building and said “Gimme all your sh-t.” He took $65, her cell phone and personal papers from her bag and fled, police said.

Fled but found
Fred Lando, 44, who was being questioned at the First Precinct about a May 15 larceny and identity theft case in the station house on Ericsson Pl. around 1:30 p.m. on Sat. May 21 fled after police left for a funeral of a fellow officer. He was arrested again at 4:15 p.m. at his home in Throgs Neck in the Bronx. He is being held without bail on larceny, identity theft and escape.

Lost it in B.P.C.
A woman resident of River Terrace in Battery Park City told police she took a cab home at 3 a.m. Sat., May 21 and realized after the cab left that she had left her house keys and wallet, with $199 and her credit cards, in the cab. The building’s doorman let her into her apartment but there was no word about anyone finding the wallet and keys, police said.

Rector St. mugging
A visitor from Norway told police he was walking on the northeast corner of Rector and Greenwich Sts. around 4 a.m. Thurs., May 19 when someone hit him in the head from behind and knocked him unconscious. The mugger took the victim’s wallet with $150 and his Norwegian driver’s license, credit cards and ID.

Employee theft
The owner of the Vince Smith Experience hair salon, 300 Rector Pl., confronted an employee on Thurs., May 19 and charged him with stealing $2,030 over the previous two weeks, police said. The employee, Mark Morin, 29, said he would repay the money but fled to the Rector St. subway station where he knocked down a woman waiting on the platform.  Police arrested Morin on the subway stairway. He was charged with larceny.

Soho watch theft
A man walked into Folli Follie, the jewelry boutique at 133 Prince St., around 5:50 p.m. Thurs., May 19 grabbed a rose gold watch valued at $1,185 from a drawer behind a display case and fled with it, police said.

Subway thefts
A thief snatched the cell phone of a Brooklyn woman sitting in a C train around 6:45 p.m. Wed., May 11 and fled at the Canal St. station, police said. The victim, 35, a Brooklyn resident, was looking at her photos on the cell phone when the thief grabbed it.

A Brooklyn woman, 22, was in the front car of a No. 4 train at 10:45 a.m. Sat., May 21 when a man who had boarded the train with her at Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn grabbed her cell phone as the train entered the Fulton St. station and fled.

Canal St. snatch
A man was buying a cell phone from a vendor at the corner of Church and Canal Sts. around 5 p.m. Fri., May 20 when a thief ran passed, snatched $250 from his hand and fled, police said.

Custom cycle gone
A man chained his custom made bicycle, valued at $3,570, to a pole on the southwest corner of Houston St. and Broadway at 7:30 p.m. Wed., May 11 and returned at 9:30 p.m. to discover that the chain and the cycle were gone, police said.

Not still friends
A Brooklyn woman, 20, told police she was on the northwest corner of Broadway and Prince St. shortly before 8 p.m. Sat. May 21 when two former woman friends started to argue with her and one of them hit her in the eye with a cell phone. The two suspects, 22 and 19 years old, fled.

— Albert Amateau

Spread the word:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

3 + = nine